- 350g spaghetti
- 400g ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup beef or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese (for serving)
- Fresh basil leaves (for garnish)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic, carrot, and celery. Sauté for about 5 minutes until the vegetables soften.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook until browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Remove any excess fat if necessary.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for another 2 minutes to enhance the flavors.
- Pour in the canned chopped tomatoes and beef or vegetable broth. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Add the dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and pepper to taste. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and let the sauce simmer for at least 30 minutes. The longer it simmers, the more flavorful it will become.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the spaghetti according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain the cooked spaghetti and set it aside.
- Once the Bolognese sauce has thickened and the flavors have melded together, taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- To serve, place a portion of cooked spaghetti on a plate or in a bowl. Ladle the Bolognese sauce over the spaghetti. Sprinkle-grated Parmesan cheese on top and garnish with fresh basil leaves.
Enjoy your homemade Spaghetti Bolognese with a side of garlic bread or a fresh green salad.
Note: You can customize this recipe by adding additional vegetables like mushrooms or bell peppers, or even a splash of red wine for extra depth of flavor.